Thursday, January 12, 2006

Guernica (?)


"All children are artists. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up."
-Picasso

Found this item digging through my first and second grade papers..... funny, there's quite a lot of drawings mixed in with the boring school work. Little bright sparks mixed in with all the dull uniformity of page after page of math papers and simple sentences on white sheets of paper. Strange that I can actually remember doing a couple of them. My favorite used to be those big 11 x 17 manila paper sheets- a great big empty canvas stretched out before me on my desk.... with infinite possibilities.

Looking at drawings that kids do, I sometimes wonder why kids are so creative and freespirited, and what happens to them to lose that spark of creativity. How is it possible to sit in a grey cubicle all day and look at a computer screen?

I seem to remember getting in trouble for drawing in class quite often. Looking back, I guess I dont understand what I was doing that was so wrong.....


(Dont remember what was going thru my brain when I did this one but it may have been in my early Fauvist phase. Ha ha .....)

2 Comments:

Blogger Kmann said...

Nice piece. I'm oddly attracted to the figure on the left. I wonder who it represents? Maybe you, feeling trapped and insignificant? Or maybe your inner conscience trying to be heard.

Or maybe it's just the guy who gave you candy at the 7-11.

-kmann

ps-you wanna hook up later tonight to work on Fairfield? Maybe a field trip this weekend? Wadda ya think?

9:51 AM  
Blogger Tim Szabo said...

If its got big ears and a goofy smile it was probably a self portrait.
Tonight a few of us are planning on hittin the car show...(wanna go? Were gonna leave here about 6:45 or so) We could get together tomorrow evening if you like- (the girls are goin' line dancing!) or anytime Sunday afternoon or evening. I had a couple ideas for places near Laurel Canyon in Hollywood. Give me a call and we'll figure it out, Kdogg.

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home